GREG WEYANDT, OF COUNSEL
Greg Weyandt focuses his practice on Alternative Dispute Resolution. He tried over 150 cases to conclusion in state and federal courts. Those trials involved health, disability, fiduciary, securities, tax and trust, products liability, construction, insurance, personal injury, banking and trade secret issues. Additionally, he handled over 100 arbitrations.
Greg’s experience as a trial lawyer led to his being selected numerous times as a party appointed arbitrator, neutral arbitrator and mediator. Courts have appointed him as a special master and special investigator. As a mediator he has helped settle everything from, “routine” soft tissue cases to multi-party claims with numerous catastrophic injuries and multiple defendants to complex commercial matters involving banking, construction and contractual disputes with and without insurance coverage.
He continues to work with other lawyers at the firm on a variety of commercial disputes.
Prior to joining Briol & Associates, Greg was Managing Partner and Chair of the Litigation group at Rider Bennett, LLP, and later partner at Dorsey & Whitney LLP.
Greg’s professional achievements include:
- Recipient, 2008 David Graven Public Service Award (awarded annually by the Minnesota State Bar Association to the lawyer who best exemplifies the high standards of the profession in combination with a commitment to public or community service)
- Repeatedly selected as one of Minnesota’s “Top 100″ lawyers, “Top 40″ business litigators and “Top 40″ health lawyers, by Minnesota Law and Politics
- For inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America” in the practice areas of: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Antitrust, Litigation – Trusts & Estates and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Named a “Super Lawyer, ” as published by Minnesota Super Lawyers©Mpls-St. Paul and Twin Cities Business Magazines, 1994 – present
- Fellow of the Academy of Court Appointed Masters, 2012
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates 1994 – present, Past President of Minnesota Chapter and Past Member of the ABOTA National Board
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, 2001-2011
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007-present
- Leading American Attorneys
Marquette University Law School
University of St. Thomas
Equivalent of Master’s Degree in Pastoral Ministry (no thesis written – no degree granted)
University of Minnesota
Bar and Court Admissions
State of Minnesota
State of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
U.S. District Courts for the Districts of Eastern and Western Wisconsin
U.S. Tax Court
Wisconsin Supreme Court, Chief Justice Bruce F. Beilfuss (1976 – 1977)
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
Numerous cases defending the company, including successful defense in a number of class action claims where class certification was denied.
Product Liability Litigation
Successful defense of the company in a number of product liability cases, including defense of the company in multiple state class action claims alleging defective paint where class certification was denied.
Various Construction Cases
Representation of a contractor with respect to warranty claims related to a major Mpls. hotel. Trial defense in a wrongful death claim involving a crane and wall collapse.
Trust and Estate Litigation
U.S. Trust – U.S. Bank
Regular representation of fiduciary disputes.
In re Ruth Easton Fund
Lead counsel in representation of Easton trustees in dispute with the Ordway Theater regarding the Ordway’s failure to continue its program to produce new theatrical works. The case was tried twice, with two court decisions in favor of the trustees.
Bell v. FFS
Initiated action on behalf of Ford Bell as trustee for his mother’s trust with respect to failures of her financial advisors. Case settled favorably for the family.
Pro Bono Cases
Regular representation of battered women in Orders for Protection matters through the Chrysalis Safety Project.
Representation of individuals injured as a result of the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers through Trial Lawyers that Care.